Fog's Edge BlackRegular price $24.50
Meet Sifu's Fourth Treasure, our curated line of Camellia sinensis, specialty blends and single origin tea line.
Our Fog's Edge Black is a single origin tea from the Assam region of India. It's palate is full-bodied, bold black tea with a malty finish; a notorious profile from the famed Banaspaty Tea Estate in India.
- Using water at 185-194ºF, steep tea at 1/2-1 tsp per cup for a moderate brew.
- Tea can be rebrewed upwards of 10 times.
Morning 10 Cup Brews:
- Add 1-2Tbsp of tea to a coffee pot or kettle (10cup) and add water at 185-194ºF. I often do this in a countertop electric kettle and have the heat setting adjusted to low or turn it off just before boiling.
- Strain and pour as desired.
- You can still rebrew in the same kettle upwards of 10 times.
The Traditional (and ceremonial) Brewing Method:
- If using an yixing, pour hot water over it to pre-heat it. If using a gaiwan, fill it about halfway with hot water and tilt it a bit so that the water creeps up the side and then rotate it so the inside gets wet all the way around. Then pour the water out. Do the same for any tea cups. Any tea pot can work in substitution for the yixing and gaiwan.
- The amount of tea to use depends very much on personal tastes. As a good starting point, put around 2 teaspoons of tea leaves in your gaiwan or yixing (assuming it holds 4 oz or 114 ml of water).
- Pour enough hot water into the vessel to just cover the leaves.
- Discard the water after 2 seconds. This will rinse the leaves. If you are using a more robust tea, repeat this process one more time.
- Fill the gaiwan or yixing with hot water. The temperature should be around 95ºC (203ºF) for regular varieties and 85-90ºC (185-194ºF) for high-quality aged varieties.
- Place the lid on the vessel and let the tea steep for 20-30 seconds. Then pour the tea into the cup(s) for drinking.
- For each subsequent infusion, add 5-10 seconds to the steeping time. You can generally get more than 10 infusions out of leaves. The higher quality the tea, the more infusions it will give you.
One jar offers 30-60 tea experiences with upwards of 10 rebrews with each experience.